Cole Middle School
28 August, 2012
DSST: Cole Parents,
Welcome back to the 2012 school year! I want to thank you all for a great first few days of school. It has been exciting to have students back and turn the building into a school. Typically, we will do our Dragon Gazette every other week, but I felt it was important to write a letter this week to hit on some important things for students and families (especially to those who are attending DSST for the first time). There is quite a bit that goes into great student’s success, some things need to happen at school and some things need to happen at home. Please take the time to read over the following to help us get back into the full swing of things and make this year the best it can be.
Parent and Advisor Communication:
Please be sure that you and your student’s advisor are in constant contact over the course of the school year. This will ensure that we’re doing everything we can to help your student succeed. Advisors will be contacting all families in the next few days to introduce themselves and discuss any questions/concerns you or your student may have. The relationship and communication channel that you and the advisor develop have one of the greatest impacts on your student’s success. Attached in this letter, you will see a handout that has contact information for each advisor.
After School Interventions:
As I’m sure you’ve experienced, we have several interventions in place that DSST does differently than most schools. These are part of the commitments that parents and students make when deciding to attend DSST. Please make sure you are scheduling any afternoon events (ex: dentist appointments) around interventions so that students can attend when required. Interventions take place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday after school from 3:50 – 4:50. You will receive a call around 1:30 on these days if your student is required to attend. Students receive College Prep and/or Refocus for the following reasons:
Students earn College Prep for:
· Incomplete homework (including skipped question or no MLA heading)
· Work of unacceptable quality (directions not followed, too messy or not legible)
· Missing parent signatures
· Missing supplies
· Incomplete morning work
· One unexcused tardy or two excused tardies a week is a College Prep (assigned by Office Manager)
Students earn Refocus for:
· Talking during silent times (transitions, morning check, morning meeting, etc.)
· Food, gum, drink (except water)
· Disrespectful comments or actions
· Inappropriate language
· Inappropriate use of technology (Cell phones and mp3 players must be turned off and stored in student bag packs or in lockers. They may be only used outside of the school building).
· Tardy to class (unexcused)
· Uniform infraction (that cannot be or is not quickly corrected)
· Repeated misbehavior in class
The full lunch price is $1.75 ($0.40 for reduced lunch). Student Free or Reduced Lunch status will be updated in mid-September. If student paid full price last year, they will continue to do so until in changes are reflected in mid-September. You can register for and load money into student lunch accounts at www.mylunchmoney.come.
Drop Off and Pick Up:
My top priority is student safety and the drop off and pick up is one of the things that worry me the most. Please abide by the following when dropping off and picking up your student each day.
· Have a plan. Know how, when, and where you will drop off and pick up your student. School starts at 7:45 each day with doors opening at 7:30. School ends at 3:50, 4:50, or 2:15 (Wednesday). We will only have staff outside for dismissal times. It is important that students are not left “hanging out” for extended periods of time where they are unsupervised. If students are still waiting 20 minutes after first dismissal they will be asked to go do their homework in the College Prep room where they can be supervised. This means that the adult picking up will have to park and come into the building to pick up the student.
· If you drop off or pick up on the East side of the road (away from the school) students MUST use the cross walk. No student should ever be running out in front of traffic.
· Students are only permitted to wait in front of DSST for pick up. This is our pick up location.
For payments, purchasing uniforms, or other similar items, please do so between 8:00 am and 3:50 pm. Before or after these times, the front office sees a large volume of traffic and our first priority is making sure students safely get to the right place each afternoon. This will really help Ms. Basaites be able to give you full attention and serve your needs.
Community is at the core of DSST and it takes all students, parents, and staff to make DSST a great place to learn. Thank you for your commitment and continued support of our students and school.
Let’s have a great year.
DSST: Cole MS Director